Wednesday, March 14, 2012

woody woodworker



B is on spring break and so I am so to speak. And what do people do when they are on spring break? Oh that's right, they go to Florida. But what do people like B and I do on spring break? We work! We are painting the dining room this week and shopping for drapery rods which is just a downright scary endeavor. All that hardware talk boggles my mind and just when you think you found a solution, they price it out. I would prefer to let my windows go bare than spend $3000 to $4000 on drapery rods and that doesn't even include the draperies. I think we are going to get single traverse decorative rods and rehang our sheers. No fancy side panels for us.


getting started

So while the dining room is emptied of furniture, I decided to take on the project of refinishing the dining room table top. A mahogany Duncan Phyfe style table in bad need of refinishing. I'm just doing the top. The rest of the table is in okay shape.


one drop leaf down

B got me set up in the garage with the sander and 100 grit paper. I swore I would finish it even if it killed me.


half-way there

So here I am halfway there. I finished yesterday with the 100 grit.



And today I sanded it with 220 grit to a satiny finish

I was a little reluctant to post this because I'm considering some kind of design on the table and I might screw it up. Or even if I just stain it with no design, I might still screw it up and you would be left wondering.....I wonder whatever happened with that table she was refinishing?

No comments: