Friday, March 9, 2012

frivolous vs frugal me

frivolous....carefree and not serious

frugal.......sparing, thrifty, prudent or economical in the use of consumable resources such as food, time or money

Who am I trying to kid? There is no frugal me.

There is a constant battle in my mind. I want to be frugal but fear that I'm frivolous. Not even fear, I know I am frivolous. I made a vow to myself to stop spending money. I have so much more than I need. I have enough shoes for fifty people to have a nice selection of shoes. And still, after my baby sister posted pics of cute shoes she found at Marshalls....my car seemed somehow to make a trip there. With me in it. I had no control. Against my better judgement, I walked into Marshalls and walked out with three pairs. Three pairs and three tops. After my solemn vow. Okay, I've renewed my vow.

I have been spending less at the grocery store. And today I stopped myself from making a trip to Goodwill and Amvets. But I did have to buy groceries and there were two bins full of very interesting books reduced to $3 each. A wiser person would have walked away. A wiser more frugal person would read some of the many books that she already owns. But frivolous me added eight of these $3 books to her grocery cart. Seven novels and a craft book about knitting and crocheting shawls with beads. A wise and frugal person would know that she would never knit a lovely shawl. A frivolous person can dream.

1 comment:

Miss Linder said...

I love that you are blogging again.