Tuesday, March 6, 2012

steak w/ hot checkerboard potato salad



I decided this week to put some of my many cookbooks to use. I selected a Real Simple Dinner Tonight: Done cookbook for inspiration. I rarely make recipes exactly as written. So I selected Steak with Potato Salad and Blue Cheese Vinaigrette. But then I didn't make the Potato Salad with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette. Instead I substituted my own recipe....Hot Checkerboard Potato Salad as the starch dish. I did make the Romaine Salad with Tomatoes and Bacon from the cookbook though.

For two people

half a bag of romaine salad
2 slices of cooked bacon (I made this easy with Wegman's precooked bacon that you heat in the microwave)
as many half cherry tomatoes as you see fit
two or three chopped chives or scallions

Dressing:
1/8 c olive oil
1/8 c grated Parm
1 T sour cream
1 T rice vinegar
salt and pepper



Pan cooked Tenderloin steak medium rare and here is the p salad

Two red potatoes peeled and cubed
2 purple potatoes peeled and cubed
Microwave in a covered dish with a T water until cooked but still firm. Add chopped raw onion and chopped raw celery, a splash of rice vinegar and a splash of olive oil, sea salt and ground black pepper to taste. Cover and let sit a minute or two to warm the raw veggies.



Dessert from the same cookbook

Chocolate-Ricotta Icebox Cake

Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Line the pan with 2 crisscrossed pieces of parchment paper, spraying between layers and leaving an overhang on both sides.
In food processor, puree the 2 15-ounce containers of ricotta( I used part-skim) with 12 ounces semisweet chocolate ( melted and slightly cooled)until very smooth.
Layer with crushed chocolate wafer cookies, layer of ricotta, layer of cookies, layer of ricotta, layer of cookies, layer of ricotta. Refrigerate at least an hour.

I halved this recipe and use a small loaf pan. I also used a few too many cookies causing it to fall apart. I also suggest freezing instead of refrigerating. If you freeze let it sit out a few minutes to soften for cutting.

1 comment:

Momma_Dee said...

thanks, Mona. We will be copying this dinner one night soon.