Sunday, October 30, 2011

halloween event



I ran into Wegman's yesterday to pick up a prescription after my work-out at the BAC.
It should have been a quick in and out trip but Weggie's was having a Halloween event. Outside they were selling flower bouquets made in pumpkins, huge caramel apples dipped in various candies, hot cider and doughnut holes. I made it past this but the first thing I encountered was a stand giving out samples of pumpkin soda. She also gave me a card with the events that were happening so I made the rounds. I bought two creature cupcakes for B and I to have for dessert Sunday or Monday. On to the produce department where I tried Caramel Apple Dip. This was cream cheese covered with caramel dip and crushed Heath bars with apple slices to dip. In the meat department I had prosciutto on a stick. In dairy I had Mexican Layer dip. I was too early to taste the seasonal beer. It wasn't noon yet. But my favorite by far was the Cheese Fondue. It was Danny Wegman's wife's cheese fondue recipe. She is from Switzerland so it is very authentic and by far the best cheese fondue I've ever had.

Here is the recipe...

1 clove peeled garlic
8 oz shredded Emmental Savoie
8 oz shredded Imported Le Gruyere
4 oz shredded Surchoix Appenzeller
1 cup dry white wine
1 tsp corn starch
1/8 tsp white pepper
1 T Kirsch
Fresh crusty bread chunks
1. Bring all ingredients to room temp.
2. Rub garlic clove along inside of a large saucepan. Place pan on stove top on Med heat. Add cheese and white wine. Cook stirring constantly in a figure 8 about 15 min until smooth.
3. Whisk corn starch and Kirsch in small bowl until smooth. Add to pan. Cook stirring constantly about 10 min until bubbles. Add pepper. Transfer to fondue pot.

I think it is the addition of the Kirsch that makes this so special. All the employees were dressed in costumes and the store was full of young families with children trick or treating. It is always such a treat going to Wegman's.

No comments: