Monday, October 17, 2011

trip home-day two


Auntie M, Mom and Barb

On Wednesday we had a light breakfast at home and then Barb (my mom), Barb (my friend), and I headed to Lincoln via New Holland where I pointed out my old high school and houses of school classmates. In Lincoln I drove us around some pointing out the square,the courthouse, the library and parks. We shopped at Abe's where curiously enough the only thing that I bought was a knife that cuts wavy cukes and carrot slices. When I got home again and was putting this away in my cutlery drawer I discovered the very same knife with the very same gold handle that I had probably purchased the year before at Abe's. I must really like it.

Then Mission Mart, one of my favorite thrift stores. I usually walk away from Mission Mart with a dozen pairs of shoes but this year could not find a single pair that I liked. I did come away with a Bohemian-looking black print halter dress that my mom thought I was crazy for buying and an oatmeal St John's Bay zip-front sweater. Also a cute brown zip-front sweatshirt. On to the impressive new Goodwill. Here I bought a super soft feminine purple stretchy boiled wool jacket, a Calvin Klein pink corduroy jacket, a cream and gold brocade jeans-cut jacket, a black tweed Chicos cardigan and a green khaki Banana Republic skirt. All cute, cute, cute. Barb and I had packed for warmer weather and I ended up wearing most of these jackets on our trip because the weather was a little nippy.

After shopping we drove to Elkhart to eat lunch at The Wild Hare. Barb and I had Stuffed Green Pepper Soup and Asparagus Quiche. Mom had a different soup and a sandwich. Mom wanted me to find something she could buy me for my birthday and it wasn't hard finding it here. I won't say what it was because it's put away and I have to forget about it until my birthday.

After lunch we drove towards Mt. Pulaski just to experience the beauty of Elkhart Hill and then we turned around continued towards Springfield.



Barb and I with the Lincolns

The day flies by so much more quickly than you expect. We had hoped to visit the new Abraham Lincoln Library Museum, his home and his tomb, but only had time for the museum. We did have time to explore it thoroughly and see both of the shows. Mom wasn't feeling very well so instead of having dinner in Springfield, we went home.

After relaxing at home a bit, Barb and I wanted to go check out the new bar, Slackers, in New Holland. We dropped mom off at her friend, Bert's house. I always wonder when I go home for a visit if I will see anyone I know. Lo and behold, when we walked in there was an old high school friend sitting at the bar with his dad. A little while later two more Middletown guys that I know came in. The guys bought us drinks and we reciprocated by buying shots. Barb and I had intended to drive to Lincoln for dinner but ended up staying at the bar and having pizza and enjoying a pleasant evening of conversation.

We picked up mom from Bert's house and went in for a visit with Bert and Ken. It was
another fairly early evening to bed for us. I seem to not adjust well to even a hour time change. The night before I laid in bed for hours before I could fall asleep and I awoke very early in the morning. This night was no exception.

No comments: