Saturday, October 15, 2011

trip home-day one



Barb and I have been good friends for nearly twenty years. We met when we worked together at a psychologist office. She was receptionist and I was bookkeeper. I have met and visited with her lovely mother several times. For years Barb has said that she wanted to to met my mother and see where I grew up. So finally we planned a trip back to Illinois. We had such a wonderful time that I want to remember it here.

On a Tuesday morning a couple weeks ago, Barb drove from Rochester to my house in Buffalo. We took a cab to the airport. Always wanting to allow ourselves plenty of time we arrived nearly two hours early to encounter no lines whatsoever. Also our plane was nearly an hour late taking off. We had plenty of time to enjoy a breakfast sandwich and a Bloody Mary in the airport bar.

We arrived at O'Hare and took the shuttle to the rental car place. Here we had one the most comical conservations I have ever had with our Russian car rental agent. Yes, it is expensive but you made a reservation. I can do nothing. I can offer you a coupon for the next time. We have no economy cars at the moment so we will upgrade you to a mini-van. What if we just came in off the street and asked for a car? Would it be less expensive? Would you like for me to see? Yes, please. It would be over $100 less expensive. Even less with an economy car. Let's do that then. Would you like me to delete all this and start over. Yes, please. (She's all put out. The line is growing behind us) Oh, we have no economy cars. We'll have to upgrade you to a mini-van. This went on and on with her speaking with a heavy Russian accent.

Finally we left the airport with Barb displaying her excellent driving skills and me performing less stellarly as the navigator. On the drive downstate we stopped at the Illinois River Winery. I had been there several times before and enjoyed the excellent wines. We did a wine tasting and purchased a couple bottles to take with us. We were planning to eat lunch at nearby Starved Rock State Park Lodge but by the time we got there it was almost dinnertime. So we walked the grounds a bit and shopped in the gift shop until the restaurant opened for dinner. This huge fireplace was decorated spectacularly.



We were admiring it and the waitress offered to take our photo in front of it. I can't remember exactly what our sandwiches were but we each ordered a different one and split them. They were served with homemade potato chips and both were so yummy that I couldn't decide which one I liked more.

Then the rest of the drive to Middletown. Mom was asleep in her chair and didn't even hear me until I approached her. We spent the rest of the evening talking and having a little of the wine we bought earlier in the day. Barb and mom seemed to get on well. A comfortable evening and early to bed. We were pooped.

No comments: