Monday, October 24, 2011

trip home-day four


Rose Champagne Cocktails at Pops for Champagne

Friday morn Barb and I got up and made breakfast for all of us. We kissed my mama goodbye and headed North to Chicago. My friend, Donna, came to the airport to pick us up from the car rental place. Donna and I have been friends since our sons were less than a year old. We met at the swimming pool during swim lessons. I can still see those two little babies in their Speedos.

Donna drove us to Roselle, the suburb where we both lived and where Donna still lives. I asked her to drive me past my sweet old house. Then I asked if we could stop at the Lynfred Winery. We decided to do the wine tasting. Most wine tastings don't take long but this wine tasting included 8 or 9 wines and our hostess poured us half glasses of each. We were smashed by the time we got back to Donna's house. We enjoyed her delish Caeser salad and quiche and grapes but decided to fore go the bottle of wine she had planned to open.

So then a trip downtown on the train I used to ride every day to and from work and a long walk pulling our suitcases behind us to a hotel just off the Magnificent Mile. Here we met up with Donna's sister Carla who was staying the night also. We settled in and chatted then met up with Carla's friend, Lori, at Quartino for dinner. Quartino is like a tapas bar only Italian. Everything was good especially the mushroom risotto. The place was loud, crowded and packed. The manager bumped into Lori's chair so many times that finally he apologized and brought us another free bottle of the wine we were drinking.

Afterwards we felt it was a little too early to go back so we went to Pops for Champagne and had the above cocktails. We had a great table right in the window.

Back to the hotel where we may have shared another glass of wine or not. I can't remember. We were all tired and looking forward to the next day of sightseeing.

No comments: