Wednesday, November 2, 2011

toastmasters

Today was our open house and I had volunteered to be humorist. I volunteered for this position because I often have humorous things happen in my life that I can relate. This week the only humor I encountered was inappropriate for a Toastmasters meeting. With nothing funny going on to talk about and time running out, I sat down this and penned this little poem that talks about my first Toastmaster's meeting and the events that proceeded.

Reluctant to attend
I sat there, stomach churning
When asked why I was there
I felt my face start burning

I replied that I was terrified
When faced with public speaking
Those words set my teeth a-chattering
And my eyes a-leaking

I sat there feeling cynical
Amidst that smiling crowd
Thinking that I would never fit in
With this group that spoke so proud

Then the speeches started
I got lost in emotions
Drawn into their lives
As if I’d been given potions

I like these smiling faces
I like all this support
And so I joined Toastmasters
And I’m happy to report…

That I have spoken four times
And filled every single role
Although it still is sometimes hard
I’m working towards a goal

Reluctant to attend
I sat there feeling cynical
But my feelings started to bend
And I hope to reach a pinnacle

No comments: