Saturday, August 20, 2011

national thrift shop day


black suede Franco Barbieri pumps, red leather Nine West flats, pink suede Naturalizers, gray suede Naturalizer loafers, Eric Michael beige leather flats, Acorn orange slides, Fitflops black sandals, unlabeled but really cute sandals and BCBGirls cowgirl leather mules

On Wednesday I went to my Toastsmaster's Meeting where the theme of the meeting was August Holidays. This is how I found out that August 17th, the day of the meeting, was National Thrift Shop Day. August 15th is National Relaxation Day. The month of August is National Watermelon Month.

The meeting went well. I evaluated a speech for the first time. I was a bit nervous but thought it went well all in all. I was called up to the front of the room and put on the spot during the Table Topics section of our meeting. My question was: You went on Match.com and chatted back and forth with someone. You were getting along just great and asked for a photo. When the photo was posted this person had a big tattoo with a misspelled word across it. What do you do? But to make your answer even more interesting, you had to draw a card that told you something about the way you had to answer the question. My card said that i had to speak in a foreign accent. I know a little story regarding Match.com so I told it in an accent that was a blend of German, English and Slavic. I completely fooled two people who didn't know me well and thought I really talked that way. I won the Table Topics ribbon.


beaded necklaces

But back to the holidays. I couldn't celebrate these holidays until Friday when
I was off work. I happened to be in Rochester with Jay on Friday. When our plan for the day was cancelled I brought up National Thrift Store Day. I used to thrift store shop a lot but not so much anymore. He accompanied me to the Salvation Army where I bought a couple skirts, a brown top and a book thus celebrating National Thrift Store Day. When we got home we both took a two hour nap thus celebrating National Relaxation Day.


Mexican silver earrings

The following day I met Barb for breakfast. We discussed an upcoming trip we are
going to take to Illinois in September. Then Barb asked if I'd like to check out the brand new Savers that had only opened last week. What a goldmine! I found six pairs of shoes, three tops and jewelry. Barb bought a top, necklace and five pairs of shoes. After I left Barb because she had to go to work, I stopped at Goodwill before heading back to Buffalo. Another three pairs of shoes, two skirts, a top and a stack of books.


I'm all celebrated out.

2 comments:

Momma_Dee said...

When are you planning on opening the National Shoe Museum?

shy_smiley said...

Mandy and I will be celebrating National Thrift Store day again today. We celebrated last Saturday, too.