Friday, August 26, 2011

inspiration and admiration

I have been exercising for a lifetime. It's a habit and not one that I want to break. But sometimes it feels so hard, so time consuming and so BORING. I've had people tell me that they can't run. They have actually said to me "It's easy for you". Well, it's not easy. Every time is a chore. Sometimes easier than others but it's never easy. It requires discipline and dedication. I often get down on myself and consider myself to be a lazy person lacking in discipline and dedication. And I really am in some areas of my life. But this is an area where I have some control. Exercise and running are such a part of my life that I forget that these qualities are somewhere within me. And yet it would be so easy to stop....relax on the patio every evening with a good book and a glass of wine instead of going to the gym.

So I was feeling this way a little bit. My favorite exercise instructor for my Total Body Sculpt class is expecting a baby September 1. She stopping teaching a couple weeks ago. I've been floundering around trying out other classes....Boot Camp and Pilates. Even skipping a few nights. Last night I went to my Total Body Sculpt class that is being taught by a substitute, A, until Alex returns in November.

A is a short,heavy girl...dare I say one could call her obese. But I was there so I took the class. To my surprise, A could exercise rings around me. I was amazed and exhausted at the end of the class. But not too exhausted to get my 5K in afterward.

As we were lying on our backs doing our cool down, A related the story of how she became an exercise instructor. Why she does what she does. A few years back A was falling down a lot. Her doctor told her that the muscles around her knees were too weak to support her weight and that she would have to walk with a walker. A is a grade school teacher and she couldn't fathom the picture of herself walking around the classroom with a walker. She went to the BAC to a personal trainer to build the muscles in her knees. Not only did she do that but eventually they hired her as an instructor. After hearing her story I felt such admiration for this lady....such a source of inspiration.

1 comment:

shy_smiley said...

back when I was doing step aerobics my favorite instructor was a heavy woman who had more energy than anyone I've ever met. she could go and go and go. It was back in the days of thong leotards over lycra shorts. Wow.

I was thinking this might lead to a story about YOU becoming an exercise instructor. Didn't you get certified? Lead a class?