Wednesday, July 6, 2011

icy stare

There's a young guy at work, CP, whose words often come out a little harsh-sounding. I don't think he means for them to or that he even notices it. He's a pretty nice guy actually. Keeps bags of chocolate candy on his desk. When I got a new dining room set I gave him my old one. One day I was standing by the fax machine just biding my time until I received confirmation....just looking around. He said "Why are you giving me that icy stare?"

Today I took in a container of chocolate cookies with milk chocolate chips, dried cranberries and pecans that I had made over the weekend. I sat them on the kitchen counter in the morning but never sent out an email annoucing them. CP and I happened to be in the kitchen at the same time a little later making tea. He wondered what kind of cookies were in the container. I said" "I can tell you because I made them" and proceeded to tell him. He said "Well, they look a little dry but I supposed they will taste okay". He took a bite and said "Oh, you used real butter. They're good. My mom always uses the fake stuff." So I guess I can forgive him for the first comment. But another remark like that and he'll get the icy stare.

1 comment:

shy_smiley said...

sometimes people like CP hurt my feelings, and sometimes I'm grateful for their nonesty. Like you said, he probably doesn't realize how his comments are perceived. I have several friends who are ascerbically blunt and through enough interactions with them I realize they're like that with EVERYONE and it's kind of OK, but only kind of.