Friday, July 1, 2011

graduation day

I graduated from physical therapy this morning. I told Dr. Laura last week that I thought my shoulder was all better. She measured me today and asked me lots of questions about does this hurt and does that hurt. Nothing hurt. I have 100% movement in my shoulder and 98% less pain.

But I will miss my broken and battered family that I acquired during all those early morning work-out sessions.

The 30 something military guy with the blond crew cut who did many of the same exercises I did. He always brought Dr Laura Starbucks coffee. We talked about our shoulder pain. He got mostly better before he was deployed back to one of the Bekistans a couple weeks ago. I hope he will be safe over there.

Handsome white-haired Bill who told me how pretty I was every time he saw me. His daughter always accompanied him carrying a spiral notebook that she jotted in frequently. It seemed her job was to take care of her dad and all his appointments. He had been a trucker and destroyed his back by lifting too heavy objects the wrong way for years and years. Bill had been in PT for two years and always told me that he had at least four more years to go. Bill was wired up to something that beeped periodically. He and his daughter seemed to have a great relationship except when she brought up news of her mother, Bill's ex-wife. I could tell Bill suffered a lot of pain but he always seemed upbeat.

There was Al who graduated last week after two years of PT. Al had had two knee replacements and both shoulders were shot. I think Al was a little younger than me. He was on his second wife, a nurse. Al said that she wanted to be married to him but she wasn't happy with the grown-up 25 year old son living with them. Al's son worked in the family construction business which had been the demise of Al's knees. According to Al, the son was a hard worker during the week but a much harder partyer on weekend. He totalled his car a couple weekends ago. So drunk that he didn't even slow down. Didn't even apply the brakes before smashing into another car. Al's wife wasn't happy about this. Al said he had been sleeping on the couch last week. I hope the son moves out soon because I think Al loves the wife. He talks a lot about her. Al spends his days polishing his boat and fishing.

There was Theresa who I recognized but couldn't place at first. A conversation revealed that she was one of the psychologists in the office where I used to work.

George....he hobbled in evry morning and headed for the treadmill. George had to be in his seventies but he hopped on the treadmill and started walking. Then he kicked it up and ran.....for a hour half. George impressed me and I told him so. Who would ever think he could do that? He looked like he should be in a wheelchair.

Then the lady whose name I never heard.....I think she had maybe had a stroke. She had a little obstacle course route that she walked over and over with her cane and look out if you were in her way.

Lou...the guy who looked like some old movie star. I never talked to him but while he laid on the table having his back massaged....if I looked up I would see him watching me.

Some others who came and went or I would see them once or twice. Young girl athletes with knee problems. Middle-aged guys with back and shoulder problems. Heavy set ladies with hip problems.

I hated getting up to be there at 7 am but once I got there I always felt at home with my little broken and battered family. I will kind of miss it.

1 comment:

shy_smiley said...

What a sweet post. I loved reading about your broken and battered family. We can find companionship wherever we go, right?