Monday, July 11, 2011

the 4th



I forgot to mention what a pleasant day the 4th was. B and I tried a restaurant called Zoe for breakfast. I'd heard good things about this little unassuming establishment and wanted to try it out. I was pleasantly surprised. It was decorated so cute in olive green and black. Lots of wrought iron swirly decorations including hand-painted scrolls on the walls. Nice and clean with a very Greek menu. I had saganaki scrambled eggs with peppers. B had a gyros omelet.
When we got home this guy was asleep on our family room couch. What a pleasant surprise!! Then B went out for a bike ride and Jay and I took a nice long walk and had a very pleasant chat.



When we got home I got busy cooking. I marinated veggies for kabobs and baked wholewheat sugar cookie stars. I mixed up ice cream, poured it in the freezer container, clipped the container in the tub, added water, ice, salt and flipped the switch. Nothing happened. I ended up throwing out the ice cream freezer and settling for putting the container in the freezer and getting it out periodically to give it a good stir.
Kabobs are ready....red pepper, purple onion, zucchini, purple potatoes, mushrooms, swordfish, chicken, scallops and salmon.




After dinner we sat outside for a bit. The weather was spectacular. I suddenly remembered some fireworks that I bought on a trip to Illinois years ago. B helped me locate them. They had always scared me before. I thought they were bottle rockets. I found out that they were really all smoke bombs. I lit the first one. I love that firework sulfur smell.



There were some little pop guns that shot out streamers.



B lit off the thing that I had thought was a bottle rocket



Just a green smoke bomb



Jay came out to see what all the commotion was about



and decided to join in the fun



woo hoo!!!



then things got funky



my intense vanilla ice cream....I halved all the ingredients in the recipe but forgot to half the vanilla



served with honey lemon fruit and stars



cookies that I boxed up to send with Jay to give to his friend who is girl

1 comment:

shy_smiley said...

how did I miss this entry? What a delightful day! Mandy and I went to see Insidious on July 4th. It was good.