Saturday, May 9, 2009

not your kids cookies


I got this idea in my head. For Mother's Day I decided that I would send my mom, sisters and sister-in-laws homemade cookies. I found the Martha Stewart Cookie cookbook (the one that my sister, Debbie, had blogged about) in Wegman's. The cookies that were grabbing my attention were the unusual ones featuring ingredients that you don't always find in cookies. The Earl Grey cookies called for the contents of four Earl Grey tea bags. Cornmeal, ground black pepper and fresh rosemary leaves went into the other kinds. I started baking on the Sunday before Mother's Day. And continued baking on Monday evening. On Tuesday evening I was racing against the clock because all had to be mailed. I finally made it to the post office around 10:30 pm to mail them off. Hope you all received them on time and that they weren't crushed to powder. I was so busy trying to get them baked and packaged that I didn't take any photos of them. I wanted to put them in fancy white cookie boxes and label them "Not Your Kids Cookies" but in the end thought that plastic reusable storage containers would keep them better on their various trips all over the US. I did take some to work where I was able to snap this shot. I was afraid that they might not go over well at work since they were a little odd, but they were received quite well at work. Frank said that the Rosemary Butter cookies were like eating a Thanksgiving meal in a cookie. He was a big fan of all of them. B liked the Dark Chocolate Pepper cookies so I kept most of those at home for him. Anyhow I enjoyed making them and hope my recipients enjoyed eating them.

1 comment:

Momma_Dee said...

Oh my God! As a recipient of these cookies I can say they are not just beautiful but extra tasty. And I am so glad to know that I have the recipes here in my own kitchen as I must recreate them sometime. What a lovely idea and much appreciated. So far, I have had the Earl Grey and the rosemary and while both were yummy I am extremely fond of the rosemary. And I was blown away by the fish! Thank you so, so much.! He is going to make an appearance at church tomorrow. And needless to say Wegman's does bags better, too. Really loved the goodies.