Wednesday, May 20, 2009

jdrf bakesale


Every year for the past six or so years my firm has raised money to donate to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. One of our partners has a son who has suffered from this disease since he was a baby. We divide into three teams for a light-hearted competition to see which team (tax, audit, admin) can raise the most money. My team, the admin team, holds a bake sale every year along with other fundraising activities. We are the smallest team - only seven of us - yet among us we bake up a storm. Last year we made over $500 on the bake sale alone and we won the competition. This year we made only a little less. We display all our goods on fancy dishes and serving pieces so it ends up being a very upscale-looking bake sale. We set up outside the cafeteria in our building. This year I made gluten-free cookies. Even the sprinkles are gluten-free. Another baker made sugar-free chocolate chip cookies. We try to cover all dietary needs. Some people chastize us for selling sugary treats to raise money for diabetes research, but I don't think we could raise as much selling a healthy treat like carrot stix with fat-free ranch dip.


I boxed my chocolate chip cookies in boxes with fancy labels. These are not gluten-free or sugar-free or butter-free.


I made the Dark Chocolate Pepper Cookies and the Rosemary Cookies again and added another kind - Cream Cheese Walnut Cookies.


I also boxed these.


Carrot Cake Cupcakes


These confetti layers


were turned into this Confetti Cake.
Gee Whiz, I baked for two days. I feel like I should have more to show for it.

3 comments:

Momma_Dee said...

Beautiful baked goods. Nice carrots on top the cupcakes. Next year, I will try to do a couple of nice jewelry pieces for you.

auntie m said...

Just remembered that I also baked 5 smallish loves of Harvest Bread. Homemade wheat bread with toasted wheat germ in it. B and I ate one that hadn't sold at the sale. It was really good. I'll have to make that again.

shy_smiley said...

my mouth is watering. All looks delicious.