Friday, February 20, 2009

wasting away again in margaritaville



Just kidding. I only had one because I needed to stay awake to watch the Friday night movie and to keep from falling off this

step that I brought up from the basement. I had to get in that 30 minutes of aerobic exercise to qualify for that point. I practiced my steps that I have been learning during our aerobic part of Total Body Workout class. We started the movie and I started stepping. Bill got used to the rhythmic patterns of my feet clomping on the step and I had so much fun that I did 45 minutes before I settled down on the sectional to watch the rest of the movie.


This Friday's fun plaid velvet-bowed Ked's-looking sneakers that I wore for Jean's Day. Not Keds but Keds-looking because I think I got them from Walmart a couple years ago.


Today was Hope's birthday. She was diagnosed with severe Celiac's Disease last year so she took herself off the birthday club list. Mary Ann and I were discussing it at lunch one day and decided that we would bring in a gluten-free cake for Hope's birthday. Mary Ann is on vacation at Disney World so I bought the mix and made the cake last night. It called for gluten-free vanilla. I didn't think vanilla could possibly have gluten in it but I didn't want to be the one to make Hope deathly ill so I left the vanilla out altogether. I greased the pan just with butter and made a frosting of butter, powdered sugar and half and half. It was so plain that it looked cute. I think Hope was very surprised and very pleased. I actually liked it better than a normal cake mix because I'm not big on cake anyway. Cookies are my thing.
And since it is Oscar weekend and The Academy Awards is the one awards show that I watch, movies are still very much on my mind. I don't have a very big collection of movies but occasionally I will see a movie that I just have to own. Here are some that I have collected over the years. The Spitfire Grill, The Seventh Sign, Memento, Angel Heart, The Age of Innocence, Moulin Rouge, The Four Feathers, Dangerous Liasons, The Girl with the Pearl Earring, Don't Look Now, Austin Powers, Anne of the Thousand Days, Romeo & Juliet, Beauty and the Beast, Fantasia, American Beauty, To Die For, The Cell and Fight Club. Then, of course, my collection of beloved vampire movies-The Hunger, Shadow of the Vampire, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Interview with the Vampire. I'll have to add Twilight although I love it more for the love story.
And then there are a couple that I'm almost ashamed to say I love. They are The Libertine and Quills. I also love The Bourne series. Often the music in a movie is what makes me fall in love with it. Bill knows now that everytime we watch a Bourne movie that he has to let the credits play out so I can listen to Moby sing Extreme Ways. A couple that I might like to own are The Believer with Ryan Gosling and Primal Fear with Ed Norton. In fact most of Ed Norton's. OK, I'm rambling now and I have to work tomorrow. Good Night.

3 comments:

shy_smiley said...

I miss movies. I don't often take the time to watch them anymore... and I'm such a sucker for series, so I own all the Star Wars, all the Spiderman, all the Pirates of the Caribbean, all the Lord of the Rings. I love period dramas and blood and gore, so to your Dangerous Liaisons and Amadeus I'll add Rob Roy, First Knight, Elizabeth, and Immortal Beloved, but Immortal Beloved for its music, too. Last weekend I watched No Country for Old Men, which I found outstanding, and together as a family we watched Time Bandits, which I found wacky and hysterical. The Professional is one of my favorite movies for the stellar performance by a very young Natalie Portman. A Knight's Tale I love for its inexplicable melding of medieval and contemporary and the incomparable Heath Ledger...

See, I like movies. A lot. Dave and I used to go to movies all the time. Ever since Jack came, though, I can't seem to stay in one place for the amount of time it takes to watch a movie, and I can't stay awake to watch one after he's gone to bed.

But I'll start making an effort. I haven't even seen Twilight yet.

Momma_Dee said...

I think we all come by our love of the cinema quite naturally from dad. I actually don't own many movies but what I do love and own are Big Easy, Pretty Woman, Primal Fear, A Summer Place. Not quite sure what the magic factor is that just makes these for me. I think the music has much to do with it. I do like to see the credits on a movie and am known to get more than a little testy if they get turned off before I'm ready. As we watch so many movies I have seen some real crap and also some real works of wonder. I definitely have favorite actors. I've come to love some I thought I didn't like including the "pitiful".
Oh, and how can I forget the movie I can watch repeatedly and somewhat unreasonably Someone to Watch Over Me with the slightly scarred Tom Berenger and the crooked mouth Mimi Rogers?
May all your favorites win on Sunday night!

auntie m said...

Some good sound tracks from movies are Phenomenon, Knocked Up and Tin Cup. I bought the Twilight Cd but unfortunately most of the most beautiful music was left off of it.
Yes, I could go on forever about movies. Shy, have you seen The Four Feathers? It is both a period piece and stars a remarkably attractive Heath Ledger. Mama Dee, I think I'd like to watch A Summer Place again.