Thursday, January 15, 2009

random thoughts on thursday



I am sitting here having random thoughts about what I could blog about today. So why not put those random thoughts down on screen? After all the reason I named my blog Mishmash Melange was so I could do exactly that. Blog about anything I wanted with no particular theme in mind. The definition of mishmash is a collection or mixture of unrelated things. The definition of melange is a mixture of incongruous elements. Another plus about melange is that it is the fictional name of the spice central to the Dune series of science fiction. A spicy mixture of random stuff. Sounds like a unique name to me. I googled the name of my blog to see if it would come up and it did. How it zeros in on one particular post, I don't know. Does anyone else know? But I found that I'm not so unique after all and someone else had the same idea for a name. I do not have a unique blog name.

I am missing Pandora at work. I discovered Pandora online radio about a year ago and now have it honed down to be uniquely me. But a few days ago an e-mail was put out that our auditing staff was experiencing inconsistent results when trying to work on the terminal server when they are out in the field. Streaming on-line radio was taking up too much bandwidth and now we are forbidden from listening at work. I keep trying to remember to bring in some CDs.

It is cold here in Buffalo but not as cold as elsewhere in the nation. Today is a high of 5 degrees but I heard on the radio this morning that it is 10 below in Chicago. I used to live and work in Chicago and I have never experienced cold here in Buffalo like that I've experienced in Illinois. I didn't think it had ever got below zero in Buffalo because it never has in the 20 years I've lived here. But they also said on the radio that in 1932 it got 20 below and in 1982 it got 10 below. It has never however been over 99 degrees in the summer. Ever. Lake Erie keeps our temps moderated. And also gives us those lake effect snows for which we are so well known.

We are getting busy at work. Tax season is starting up. It can be a little fun. We have jeans day Fridays when you can pay $5 to wear jeans and each week it goes to a different charity. We have weekly Bingo and other games with small prizes like gift cards to Starbucks, Tim Horton's, Wegmans etc. The firm provides wonderful free lunches every Saturday. And we have fun 3/15 and 4/15 parties. Everyone in our firm gets along so well. We are almost like a family. It's always nice when April 15 arrives though and everything slows down again.

Speaking of work we are adding on a new addition. We have outgrown the space we moved into three years ago here at the Larkin Building. I have again been consulted on my interior decorating services. I got to chose everything for our original space. This is something that I plan to blog about soon. It is a big story and will require several posts.

And lastly I just ate a chocolate covered cherry from a box of candy given to me by someone at work. It made me reminisce about how I would give my dad a box of chocolate covered cherries every year for Christmas. He loved them. Or so I thought. After decades of dutifully munching them down, he told me that he had never really cared very much for chocolate covered cherries. After that I gave him a box of assorted chocolates every year. He always had a sweet tooth.

3 comments:

Momma_Dee said...

I like these sort of posts. Are you moving to a different building or just a different space?
I think Dad actually really did love choc. cov. cherries up until his later years. He was good at making those sort of pronouncements. In fact I never saw Dad turn down anything sweet. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much the same way.

auntie m said...

Just breaking through the kitchen wall and adding on. We were fortunate to have this space left because after we take it the building is 100% full. We are adding about 5 offices along the windows, open cubicle space and a large eating area to free up the kitchen. All I really did this time was chose fabric for the bench seating and an accent wall color as the space is an extension of the existing.

shy_smiley said...

I like these more freeform posts, too, because they give us glimpses of the inside of your brain. I don't think any of us are able to see a chocolate covered cherry without thinking of Fenton. And the weather is just nuts. It was 80 here in Tucson today. Wish we could average our temperatures and bring some normalcy to both our areas.