Thursday, January 29, 2009

how i became an accountant


This was at an evening open house. I don't usually drink wine at work. And my arms are usually longer than they are in this photo.

When I was a girl heading to college I thought there were only two professions for a woman to pursue – nurse and teacher. But when anyone in my presence even mentioned that they didn’t feel well, instead of wanting to care for them, I wanted to run the other way. That ruled out nurse. As soon as I entered college I declared a major of special education. I loved all my general courses but 2 ½ years into special ed I had a sneaking suspicion that it wasn’t for me. I doubted that I wanted to be a teacher of any kind. I had met B at the end of my freshman year and I turned to him to help me decide on a new major. He was an accounting major who had started out as a music major. I was head over heels in love with him and he convinced me with those bedroom eyes that I should become an accounting major also. I had to go an extra semester in order to fit all my courses in but I graduated with a degree in accounting.




If I knew myself then as well as I know myself now, I would have known that a career in any facet of the Home Economics area would have been the fit for me. I have learned to like the accounting field. I think I’m fairly good at my job. I get a thrill out of reconciling a bank account to the penny. I like payroll tax and hate sales tax. I am somewhat accomplished at navigating any accounting software. But I’m not interested in becoming a CPA or one day a partner or even staff accountant. My title is paraprofessional and I’m happy enough with it.

Woman, know thyself. I think I do know myself better now. So each morning I don my accountant disguise and every evening I come home, slip it off and become the real me. Interior decorator (for my firm), celebrated (by my family & a few people at work) chef, fashion consultant (to myself and my family), consistent athlete and published author (on Blogger).

1 comment:

Momma_Dee said...

I hooked up with an old nursing school friend on Facebook and she wanted to be a graphic artist. I wanted to be a fashion or costume designer. I just don't think any of us in those small schools in small towns had any idea how to pursue what we really wanted or even thought it possible. And it is funny how short your arms look.