Monday, September 12, 2011

sour cream pumpkin cardamom coffee cake



I was going to make Carla's cookies but they called for more pumpkin than I had. So I started perusing cookbooks. I came across something called Sour Cream Cardamom Bars. I love cardamom. It's a flavor that I thought would go good with pumpkin. So I adapted the recipe. Because I was adding pumpkin I left out one of the three eggs. Also with more liquid ingredients I needed to add more flour. What I came up with turned out more like coffee cake than bars. But the important thing is that it turned out good.

here is my adapted recipe....

2 c all-purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t cardamom
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
2 large eggs
3/4 c pumpkin
2/3 c sour cream
confectioners' sugar for dusting

Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground cardamom.
Beat the butter until creamy. Gradually beat in the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is very light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the pumpkin. Fold in the flour mixture in three batches alternating with the sour cream.

Spoon the batter into a 9 x 13 prepared pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.

Remove from oven, let cool and dust with confectioners' sugar.

2 comments:

shy_smiley said...

your cooking has my mouth watering. I could devour that whole pan of coffee cake right now! (I'm still hooked on the idea of sharing a home with you in Tucson. When you come visit I'll show you where. You do the cooking and I'll do the cleaning and cat-box scooping!)

auntie m said...

If you do the vacuuming and dusting I'll clean the bathrooms.