Monday, September 12, 2011

baking day



Sunday I was in a baking mood. I had two things I wanted to use up. One was a jar of Concord Grape pie filling that I had purchased at the Farmers Market and opened up a few weeks ago only to use a tablespoon on my pancakes. The other was the remaining canned pumpkin from the souffle I made.

I got out my old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, the one with the red and white plaid cover. The pages are old and yellowed now just like my mom's cookbook that I used to use when I was young. I had mastered the pie crust recipe in this cookbook years ago. Although I haven't baked a pie in years the crust to this grape tart I made turned out light and flaky.



And there was a little dough leftover to make pie crust sprinkled with cinnamon sugar just like my mom used to make for me with the leftover dough. B had this for dessert. I brought the pie to work today. I had a tiny piece and it was delicious but so far the Sour Cream Pumpkin Coffee Cake that I also made yesterday with the leftover pumpkin was the bigger hit.



I had a little piece of both.

No comments: