Monday, September 5, 2011

s-a day 9

The secret of self-acceptance is...

forgiving others; for as we forgive, so are we ourselves forgiven by them, and by Life itself. By forgiving others, we acquire also the wisdom to forgive ourselves.

After reading my potato peeling story you may think that I hold a grudge against my mother-in-law and that I have never forgiven her. I did hold a grudge for a lot of years. Although I have never forgotten what she said that day and other things she said to me after that, I have forgiven her. It no longer matters to me that I disappointed them by being a small town girl whose father was not a doctor or a lawyer or a bakery owner like Betsy's father. It no longer bothers me that every time my father-in-law saw me, he would ask me "How are things in Middleton?" to which I always responded with a sneer "It's MiddleTOWN". I can even smile when I recall these things.

I hold no grudges. I hope my father-in-law forgave me my insolent response to his question. I have forgiven everyone who ever hurt me intentionally or not. I am certainly no angel so I ask forgiveness from all whom I have hurt intentionally or not. I ask forgiveness from myself and from Life itself.

2 comments:

doll lady said...

You are a good person. Mother-in-laws can sometimes be a pain in the old hind end.....but I'm sure she liked you a lot! XO Cuz

shy_smiley said...

I'm still working on this one...