Sunday, September 4, 2011

once in a Blue Moon



Once in a Blue Moon a cupcake comes 'round that I'd like to try. I'm a cookie person as a rule and cupcakes don't excite me too much. When I heard about Blue Moon cupcakes I wanted to try them because although I'm a wine person as a rule and don't like the bitter taste of beer, I do like the flavor it emparts in food. Beer bread, cheddar beer soup and meat cooked in beer for example.

I Googled Blue Moon Cupcakes and a number of recipes came up. One even called for Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa. I love chocolate but I think it would totally overpower the taste of beer. So this is the recipe I came up with...

Blue Moon Cupcakes

3/4 c unsalted butter, softened
1 c sugar
3/4 c brownulated sugar
2 1/2 c flour (I used White Lily Flour just because the bag is so cute that I wanted to try it out)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 t cinnamon
3 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange zest ( I reconstituted Penzey's dehydrated orange peel)
1 c Blue Moon beer
1/4 c milk

Frothy Beer Head Frosting [recipe follows]
small orange slices, for garnish

Directions:
1. Line 24 cupcake trays with liners. I used some white and some blue.In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking power, cinnamon and salt.
2. In a large bowl beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar a little bit at a time, beating well.
3. Add eggs, beating after each.
4. Add vanilla and orange zest and beat.
5. Mix beer and milk in a measuring cup. Alternatively add beer/milk mixture and flour mixture to butter mixture in the large bowl, beating after each. End on the flour mixture.
6. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake for 18 minutes at 375 degrees F until cupcakes are golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Once cool, frost each cupcake with a generous amount of frosting. Just before serving, garnish each with a small orange slice.

Frothy Beer Head Frosting

2 egg whites, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp orange juice
1 c sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/3 c Blue Moon beer
Directions:
1. In a saucepan, mix sugar, water and cream of tartar. Cook on medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbly.
2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla and orange juice until soft peaks form. Slowly add hot sugar mixture, beating continuously. Beat for 7 minutes until stiff peaks form.




the beautiful creamy cake batter


ready for the oven


fresh out of the oven...the aroma is yeasty and heavenly


a beer tray from 1959 that we found in our basement bar when we moved in


cupcakes served on the tray


I choose this one. Do they look better just white or with blue sugar sprinkles?

No comments: