Friday, September 2, 2011

s-a day 6

The secret of self-acceptance is....

mixing with those who, in their own expansiveness,offer support to others. Shun the company of those who are cynical or insecure.

Now this one I have to beg to differ with. Yes, it's good to mix with those who offer support and who are always upbeat. I truly believe that they help us believe in ourselves, expand our thinking and make us feel good about ourselves. But if we don't mix with the cynical and insecure, who will help them expand their thinking and make them feel good about themselves. Besides a little cynicism can be fun at times as long as it's not disrespectful. Insecurity is no picnic and these people need all the support they can get.

1 comment:

shy_smiley said...

Nice perspective. I remember when I first became aware of this: at Jumer's we were working a banquet and behind in serving. It was time to bring the pre-plated dessert from the walk-in. Fong was helping us. She overbalanced and dropped the tray of Black Forest cake slices on the floor of the walk-in. Before any words came out of my mouth (and they weren't kind words; they were a Denny response, if you know what I mean) my coworker Erin said, "Are you OK? You didn't get hurt, did you?" That moment changed the way I react in particular situations. I was the cynic who needed supportive mingling.