Saturday, September 17, 2011

the good teacher


Faculty vs students basketball game

Yesterday Jay came home to celebrate his birthday with us. He wanted to eat dinner at The Cheesecake Factory. And so we did. They have a new Skinnylicious menu with lighter fare. He and I both ordered Margaritas off it. B had Riesling. I ordered the White Chicken Chili. I've made this myself a few times but I've never had it so tasty before as this is. It was off the skinny menu too even though it had a bit of cream of it. Jay had a burrito and B ordered meat loaf. One thing about The Cheesecake Factory is that even though the menu is huge and offers so many choices, the food is always excellent.


practising his presentation for his Masters Degree

He spoke of his students while we ate. Jay is starting his fourth year of teaching high school business. He received an A+ on his Masters thesis which was bestowed on him this spring. I like to listen to his talk of teaching. Although there are always a few unruly students who become major discipline problems every year, for the most part I think he enjoys teaching and I think he is pretty good at it.

Last year he told his class a joke every day. He said they always groaned but secretly they liked.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger; then it hit me.

Police were called to a day care where a three-year-old was resisting a rest.

Did you hear about the butcher who backed into his meat slicer and got a little behind in his work?

On Halloween he brought them candy and the doll from the movie Saw. He made them talk to the doll as if it were him and answered them through the doll. It sort of freaked them but they loved it.

He told us this year that he informed his Accounting class of celebrities who started out as Accounting majors...among them Janet Jackson, Kenny G and JP Morgan. He said that a background in Accounting probably helped Janet figure out how much money she was making and if she was profitable but probably didn't help her any with her wardrobe malfunction at the Superbowl. His class didn't know who Kenny G was so he played them a Kenny G song on his phone while they were working through an Accounting problem. On Friday, his birthday, he told his class that gasoline was so much cheaper when he was in high school. Someone asked how old he was. He responded "Uh, 29". They asked when is his birthday. He made them guess. Someone guessed September. Yup. What day? Someone guessed the 20th. Nope. The 18th. Nope. The 16th. Yup. There was a long pause and then someone said "Hey, wait, that's today." Jay said Yup...don't make a big deal out of it. Jay told me he made it through the day without any of the faculty knowing that it was his birthday. He thanked me for not posting on his Facebook wall. I don't know why he never wants to make a big deal out of it.




He is an assistant Lacrosse coach at R-H. The team did very well last year.



He likes to cuddle with his two kitties...Brody and Tess



He is a health nut and I knew he wouldn't want a cake for his birthday so I made this healthy one containing no sugar. It does contain carrots, banana, wheat flour, wheat germ, egg, olive oil, vanilla, flax seeds, chia seeds and black walnuts. I did frost it with a little cream cream frosting. He ate some and even took some home. It really is very tasty regardless of how it might sound as a birthday cake.

So we had a pleasant bday visit with Jay. He spent the night and we had a Greek breakfast before he headed home again. I think he had a good birthday. I hope he did.
I'm looking forward to hearing more stories of his classes and students throughout the year.

1 comment:

shy_smiley said...

what a lovely young man you've raised, Auntie Em