Tuesday, November 16, 2010

be your best



Tomorrow I am supposed to be the humorist at our Toastmasters. This morning in the shower I was thinking and preparing when I remembered that I have a doctor appointment that I made a year ago conflicting with Toastmasters. You can't be in the two places at the same time. I went ahead and sent my little prepared speech to the toastmaster and told her that she could deliver it for me if she wanted. I told her she could say that I prepared it while showering cause that is kind of funny too.
What I wrote......

The topic “Be Your Best” does not conjure up humorous stories in my head. If you try your best and succeed, it does not make for a funny story. If you try your best and fail, it may make for a funny story, but I don’t want to talk about failure.

I want to share a poem with you from one of my favorite poets….leunig.

It’s humorous in that it refers to our selves as a tiny boat in which we travel. But the message is a powerful one.

The Tiny Boat

God bless this tiny little boat
And me who travels in it
It stays afloat for years and years
And sinks within a minute.

And so the soul in which we sail
Unknown by years of thinking
Is deeply felt and understood
The minute that it’s sinking.

So don’t let this happen to you. Be your best every day. Feel and understand every day of your life and not just the minute that your boat is sinking.

That's the end of what I wrote.

Upon rereading this poem, I'm not really sure I get it. He may be saying that we never will get it until our boat is sinking no matter how much thinking and doing our best we do. What do you think?

2 comments:

Momma_Dee said...

I think it means we don't really take time to appreciate what we have until in danger of losing it. But I feel that we are being able to appreciate our lives more now that we have a little age on us. I like that you used my boat picture. It's so pretty.

auntie m said...

My doctor's office called and cancelled my appointment because my doctor went home sick. I was able to deliver this myself and added a little to it and made it better. I think you hit the nail on the head. I love that photo. It was so appropriate for this post.