Thursday, April 23, 2009

the cat that came for easter


Cleveland Amory wrote a book entitled The Cat Who Came for Christmas. He was writing about a white cat that showed up on his doorstep on Christmas Eve. We had a similar situation on Easter Eve. I had just got home from work on Saturday and Jay pulled into the driveway right behind me. He was home for his Easter visit. He started hauling in his laundry which he always brings along with him when he comes for a visit. He brought in a load and we stood for a few minutes to chat. He opened the back door to go back out for more but was stopped in his tracks. A black kitty was walking up the back steps. He continued on right through the door and into the kitchen just like he had just arrived home. Without stopping he walked into the family room and down the basement steps. Jay and I followed him. Jay took this photo with his cell phone. Black was such a nice kitty. He let us hold him and pet him and rewarded us with his contented purring. But since we have Sam and Smudge and we didn't know where this kitty came from or anything about his health, I made Jay put him back outside. We fed him. He seemed to appreciate the food because he ate it all then did some cutesy rolling around on the patio for us. Jay brought a towel lined box and a cat toy out on the patio in case he was a stray and needed a bed for the night. We went back inside, kitty walked away and I have not seen him since.

1 comment:

shy_smiley said...

sweet! He reminds me of my Baron, whom I lost to diabetes so many years ago. I'll always have a soft spot for black cats.