Wednesday, April 29, 2009

bok choy and other veggies


On a whim B, Jay and I decided to eat at Black and Blue one evening when Jay was visiting. We didn't have reservations. When we got there we were informed by the hostess that there were some tables by the bar that were first come-first serve but otherwise they were completely booked for the evening. That hostess had just come on board for the evening and the hostess she was replacing turned out to be the younger sister of the drummer for the band that Jay used to be in. She and Jay embraced and chatted for a few minutes then she said that she would ask her boss if she could get a table for us. I'm glad Jay has friends in high places because we were seated right away. B had the black (Angus that is) and Jay and I had the blue. Not crabs, but we did have seafood. I had sole served with a crab slaw and something that I now can't recall but at the time it was one of the reasons that I ordered my entree. I remember it was delicious. What the heck was it? Jay had a fish called wahoo served with rice and braised bok choy with oriental flavorings. We were both impressed by the boy choy and both proceeded to recreate it the next week.


my offering of salmon, rice and braised bok choy in oriental citrus sauce


served with cucumber and radish salad


Jay went with the black for this meal and sent me this picture he took with his cell phone. The message was "beef tips in Merlot wine sauce (raided from my pantry) with rice and sauteed boy choy and scallions in garlic butter. Best meal everrr!!



While I was making the bok choy meal I also was cooking this Wegman's mix of leeks, carrots and potatoes to which I added chopped tomatoes and chicken broth. I pureed most of this mixture leaving some chunky and added a quarter cup of half and half and ham to make a really yummy soup.

2 comments:

Miss Linder said...

I want to come eat at your house!

Momma_Dee said...

Interesting that you should write about bok choy. We went to see "Miss Saigon" at the dinner theatre when Beth was here. I had the salmon and my vegetable was baby bok choy in a slightly sweet garlic sauce that was positively scrumptious. I have never made bok choy as a vegetable and tried a recipe last weekend. Mine was in a ginger and garlic sauce, not bad but not even close to what I had at AZ Broadway. I agree with Miss L that I would like to eat at your house.