Sunday, March 29, 2009

culinary disappointment


Jiffy corn muffins

First of all.....what didn't disappoint....Jiffy corn muffins. Why ever bother making corn muffins from scratch when Jiffy ones are the best ever? The recipe on the box for corn meal pancakes is super also.


Fruit salad with Brianna's Poppy Seed Dressing

And any kind of salad that contains fruit is always delicious when dressed in this. This salad is strawberries, oranges, celery and pecans. Another favorite salad with Brianna's is greens, chopped apple, celery, onion, pecans and a bit of shredded cheddar.


the disappointment

I thought this sounded good and I think it could have been but I used too much liquid in the crockpot and it turned out bland. The flavors got diluted. I think I'd try it again but maybe bake it in the oven and use less liquid. I threw into the crockpot... a chicken, peach beer, a can of peaches (this was the problem as I didn't drain the liquid off), onion powder, a couple bay leaves and a good dose of mace and cinnamon. I think maybe a should have added a touch of sweetness also...maybe maple sugar or syrup. I was introduced to this beer by my sister several years ago. I am not a beer drinker at all but this beer, which also comes in green apple and raspberry, won my heart. I've been looking for it in Buffalo ever since that time and finally Wegman's started carrying it when they expanded their beer section to include a larger variety of beers from other countries. This chicken will make an appearance on our plates again tonight but I will make sure that tonight it will not disappoint.

1 comment:

Momma_Dee said...

Well, it certainly looks good. I've had some of those not quite as good as it sounded things. I can't help but be amused by the fact that I ever introduced anyone to a brand of beer. I'm such an authority on it.
Also have never made pancakes from the Jiffy cornbread mix but will be trying it soon.