Sunday, January 22, 2012

dealing in counterfeit shoes



I'm so happy that I didn't make a New Year's resolution restricting my number of visits to resale shops. I really don't go as often as I use to but I don't want to feel guilty about going at all because it is one of the great small pleasures in my life. And what is wrong with having small pleasures in life. I've found that when I do go I often end having a theme color or set of colors. One day I'll come home with a bunch of tans and browns, another day I might be attracted to bright colors. But more often than not I'm attracted to black, grey, metallic and dark red. Never bright tomato red. If you look in my closet you may think I'm a very dull person. Maybe I am. I know that I do prefer to wear dull colors. My favorite color for clothing is grey...that sweatshirt grey color.

So I stopped by Goodwill yesterday and had such fun. An hour goes faster in Goodwill than any other place I go. Certainly faster than at work or exercise class.

I picked up a silver cowl neck tunic top, a DNKY dark red sweater with full sleeves gathered at the elbow with ties, a grey with black velvet trim cami, a silvery grey mesh tank from Talbots, two Champion exercise tops (not pictured), a gold Calvin Klein belt and two pair of shoes. One pair of shoes is Ann Marino. I always like her shoes. These will replace a favorite pair of shoes of mine that lost a button. They look a lot alike and both were thrift store finds. This other pair like high-heeled boots....well, they drew me in because they said "Made in Italy" on them. They are sort of cute and will look good with some of my pants that are bit too long or kind of racy with black tights and a skirt. I Googled the brand name when I got home and couldn't come up with a hit. But I did come up with an article about counterfeit shoes that are made in China but have Made in Italy stamped on the sole above the size. Well, guess what? Upon further inspection, I believe these shoes qualify as counterfeit. Not really very well made. But I'm not a shoe snob. I like the cheap ones along with the designer ones.

BTW...if my feet were smaller I could have snagged a pair of Laura Ashley bronze metallic woven linen cloth shoes that were sooooo cute.




This was my exciting find. It's so over-the-top. Here's the little story that goes with it.

I'm poking around all the racks. I have a good eye for spotting the brand names, the fine fabrics. As I'm poking I'm keeping an eye on the two kids putting out the newly marked clothes. A young girl and a young feminine guy. Both have toothpick legs encased in skinny jeans. He has a soft giggle that erupts every time he points out a cute top or a cute pair of jeans to the young lady. Every time he selects a belt that will complete the suggested outfit. At first I think that he is one of those guys that I see in resale shops occasionally who are selecting clothing for their own consumption. Then I realize that he is working. I see see him hang this jacket on a rack that I had just perused. I wait a few minutes and then casually stroll back over. I get that high then you have found something great. It's made in China but it's cute and fit me perfectly. I might not wear it, I might wear it a few times. It's one of those things that a few people will love and most people will think you look like an idiot in. But that has never bothered me much. I go easily from classic to over-the-top.

A final aside.....my sister-in-law posted this quote of Eleanor Roosevelt's recently - Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.

I felt instantly offended by this. Discussing people is great fun and some professions are devoted entirely to this. I do have some good ideas sometimes. I can discuss ideas and events. But I have to accept that I prefer to discuss people. I find people more interesting than events. I have a small mind. Lofty Eleanor can go suck an egg.

No comments: