Monday, April 5, 2010

whole wheat chocolate blueberry cake



I made this cake a couple weekends ago and it was so dense and moist that it was good plain just like this. It was also good with a dollop of chocolate mousse (which I will explain later in this post) and fresh blueberries.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
6 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1 egg
1 cup frozen light whipped dessert topping....which I didn't use
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In blender combine water, blueberries and the egg. Cover and blend til smooth. Add to flour mixture. Whisk until well combined. Pour into a greased 8x8x2 inch baking pan. Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Invert onto a serving platter.

Now here is where I went astray with excellent results. The recipe said to combine dessert topping and chocolate bits in a microwave-safe bowl. Micro-cook covered on 50% power for 1 minute and stir til smooth. Let cool and spread on cake. Instead I combined a half cup of whipping cream and the chocolate bits in a pan on the stove until the chocolate melted. After it cooled I tried to whip it which it would not do. So I added some more cold whipping cream and it whipped up into a delicious chocolate mousse that I dolloped onto the cake along with a sprinkle of fresh blueberries.

No comments: