Monday, April 19, 2010

day off


This is Adam Lippes. I became acquainted with him on my day off. Not in person though....too bad. :-(



This store opened on Main Street about two years ago. On Friday I braved the rain and took a walk up and down Main Street in the village. I had looked in the window of this store before...a very open space with a few racks of women's clothes on either side. A pretty dark-haired girl popped up off the sofa to greet me...eager to have a shopper in the store. I browsed the racks of high end designer clothes. Everything seemed to be priced $375. Blouse...$375. Skirt...$375. Dress....$375. There was a rack of sale items marked down to $300. Curious about the background of this store and how it got it's start, I struck up a conversation with her. She explained to me that Adam was born and raised in Buffalo. She and her husband had attended Nichols School with him. Adam graduated from Cornell with a psychology degree and then continued his studies in Paris where he focused on art history and architecture. He worked closely with Oscar de la Renta for seven years. The clothing Adam designs is sold in over 250 stores in 10 countries around the world. He now has a flagship store in NYC where he lives and designs. He has recently added three more free standing stores. One in Bryn Mawr, PA, one in the Hamptons and this one right in my little village of Williamsville. She said Adam called her up and asked her to work in the store now that her children are in school. We continued to talk and I found that she had recently moved back to Buffalo from Chicago's Lincoln Park area. So we had another nice talk about about Chicago.



Pumpkins and The Jacqueline Shoppe have both been in business even before I moved to Williamsville. The Jacqueline Shoppe has a reputation for being the place to go for Mother of the Bride dresses. They have always carried a number of lines of nice clothing and I have often found something on the sale rack as did on this day.



While I was in the shop I ran into my friend, Mary Alice, who always saves my spot for me in my Total Body Workout class at the BAC. She was looking for a dress for her son's wedding.


Pumpkins



My afternoon was spent sharing a bottle of wine with my good friend, Barb. We drove over to her daughter, Alex, new studio apartment on the edge of Glen Park. The apartment wasn't set up yet. We went so we could drag a heavy armoire in a box that UPS had delivered a little earlier in the day down a steep flight of stairs. This is Alex's new espresso click clack.


and her cute little kitchen that was way cuter when I saw it later complete with new bistro table and chairs.


And this is her view out her window....Glen Park.



and her back patio where I can picture little elves and fairies.

No comments: