Friday, February 12, 2010

laughlin's


looking out the window of the second floor bar at Laughlin's

Monday night I attended an Ani DiFranco concert in Asbury Hall at Babeville. Babeville is the name that Ani gave the old church that she purchased on the corner of Delaware and Tupper. It was falling down and Ani renovated it and turned it into a concert hall and art gallery. It's very beautiful inside but the bad purse checker people made me take my camera back to my car so I wasn't able to get any pictures of the inside. The concert was great. Ani is a Buffalo singer who formed her own record label, Rightous Babe, instead of signing on with an established record label. She has done very well for herself and now lives in New Orleans. Buffalo was glad to have her back for one night. Her opening act, Gabby Moreno, was quite good also.

But I am getting ahead of myself. Since I was going to be downtown for dinner I invited my friend, Tim, to join me. We used to work together but now he works at a different accounting firm downtown. He took time out from his busy tax schedule to join me at Laughlin's at the corner of Tupper and Franklin. This restaurant is in an old narrow three story brick building....supposedly haunted. The main bar is on the first floor. We ate on the second floor that has a smaller bar. The haunted third floor is for banquets and larger groups.


from a little farther back


I love these chainmail window treatments


Tim hiding behind the menu


some of the other patrons


the catacombs in the dark


the catacombs with a flash

These are stairs leading up to the second floor. I can imagine skulls and other bones in the recesses instead of candles.


loved the bathroom tile


and copper sink

1 comment:

shy_smiley said...

I would have enjoyed this thoroughly. I've always liked Ani Difranco, and not just Little Plastic Castles. Laughlin's looks like a great place to start the night, and Tim seems a good friend. Wish I could have been there.