Saturday, December 5, 2009

ramsi p tick concert series


Nichols School Dining Hall

B and I purchased tickets for the 2009-2010 Ramsi P. Tick Concert Series - a series of four concerts. Ramsi, a Buffalo native, was passionate about the arts and committed himself to many projects including founding this concert series totally supported by the concert patrons.

We attended the first concert in the series last night in it's new venue, the auditorium at Nichols School. Nichols is a private high school located near Delaware Park in Buffalo.

The concert was the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra featuring the world renowned German oboeist, Albrecht Mayer. Orpheus is an orchestra that performs without a conductor and rotates musical leadership for each work they play. This very same concert is being performed this evening in Carnegie Hall in NYC. The performance was flawless. My favorite piece wasn't even on the program. Albrecht played an encore of a Bach piece in F sharp that was written for harpischord.



We were invited to a reception following the concert in the dining hall. The second B and I walked into the dining hall we looked at one another and said "This reminds me of Harry Potter".



Yes, Nichols Dining Hall looks just like I imagine Hogwarts Dining Hall to look - complete with Gryffindor flag.


This musician was one who assumed a leadership role in conducting. The facial expressions he used to conduct kept me entertained all evening.


another group of musicians


Albrecht Mayer


Albrecht and his friends posed for me. Not really, they posed for someone else but I took advantage of the photo op. I think the one dude thought he was posing for me.


Albrecht's pretty wife who he promised to take to Niagara Falls.

2 comments:

Kay said...

Thanks for the great pictures to celebrate the night and new venue! This was a great concert. Brecht made his oboe sing!! And, Orpheus was as wonderful as I remembered from last year. I am really looking forward to the rest of the series!!

Momma_Dee said...

We are watching the latest Harry Potter tomorrow night for our New Year's Eve entertainment.