Tuesday, December 8, 2009

drying lavendar



Every year I grow a big pot of lavendar on my patio. When I walk past it, I pinch off a piece just to hold to my nose and sniff. I have never done much else with it. This year I decided to cut it and dry it to make little lavendar scent pouches for dresser drawers.



I have loved the scent of lavendar ever since I was in junior high. Twiggy and Jean Shrimpton were very popular models and Yardley of London was a very popular cosmetic company. I went through many tubes of Sunrise and Sunset lipstick and bottle after bottle of Oh De London...a cologne whose primary scent was lavendar. My family still gives me lavendar soap, candles etc for gifts and I have never tired of this scent. At this time of my life, my grandma and aunt also introduced me to finer colognes. L'air de Temps, White Shoulders, Shalimar (which has always smelled sweet like candy to me). Colognes come and go and I have found others that I like a lot - Eternity and Covet among them, but I always come back to these.

1 comment:

Momma_Dee said...

Oh, I sure do remember those years and that Carnaby Street dress I made you. And that blue Yardley lipstick. And the wonderful rich smell of fine cologne at cosmetic counters in nice department stores always makes me think of Aunt Shirley.