Sunday, May 6, 2012

book quotes 1 & 2 on confidantes and secrets

When I lost my Smudgie last week, I posted on Facebook that he was my best friend, my confidante and my sleepin' buddy. And he really was. Smudgie knew all my deepest thoughts and darkest secrets. He was an expert at keeping secrets. Over the years I have jotted down quotes that I like from books. Posting that about Smudgie made me think of a couple quotes I had jotted down on the topics of confidantes and secrets.

The first is from The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd....on confidantes

"I desperately needed confidantes. Because underneath I felt terrified. Because the weight of what I was carrying around was at least ten times heavier than I was and I had come to the end of my ability to hold it."

The second from a book I am reading now

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak....on secrets (Liesel is keeping a secret. She is hiding a Jew in her basement. As she sits in the mayor's library reading a book, the secret desperately wants to slip out of her mouth. She feels a need to share her secret. But she doesn't.)

"There's a Jew in my basement. As the book quivered in her lap, the secret sat in her mouth. It made itself comfortable. It crossed it's legs."




No comments: