Thursday, December 1, 2011

birthday baking



We have a birthday club at work. I was the last birthday so I was supposed to bake for S whose birthday was on Thanksgiving Day. There was hardly anyone in our office the week before Thanksgiving so it was decided that I would bring in the cake on the Monday following. I thought this was a great idea because it would give me all weekend to bake.

Well, I was laying in bed Sunday night at midnight about to nod off when I suddenly remembered that I was supposed to have a freshly baked cake in my kitchen waiting to be taken into work the following morning. I got out of bed and starting perusing cookbooks for a recipe that contained ingredients I had on hand. I could have stopped at Wegman's in the morning but I'm known throughout the office for my baked goods and didn't want to disappoint.

I found this recipe for Bittersweet Chocolate Bundt cake. Plenty of butter, sugar, eggs, coffee crystals and bittersweet chocolate. I mixed the thing up alternating the chocolate/coffee mixture with the flour mixture into the butter and eggs. Baked it and for the first time ever....when I loosened the edges and turned the thing out....about a half inch of cake remained in the bottom. No prob....cover it up with bittersweet chocolate fudge glaze. At three o'clock in the morning I slipped back into bed. Thank goodness for my sister and my cousin and Words with Friends... kept me busy during baking time and cooling time.

No comments: