Sunday, July 26, 2009

what jay and i did


front flower bed with Jay working on side front bed

B and I went to Jay's this weekend armed with every tool a general contractor might need to perform any work that may need to be done. Jay wanted me to work on the flower beds. Jay and I cleared the two beds in front of the house which were mostly giant weed gardens. B trimmed bushes and then went inside to start priming the basement paneling for painting later. We were able to salvage a rose bush, some flowering bush that we are waiting to see what flower is produced and a beautiful Oriental day lily. We ripped out everything else including a gnarly old cedar bush. After turning the soil until it was fine the three of us made a trip to a giant landscaping store near his house. We decided on barberry, boxwood and hydranga and nine bags of red cedar mulch.


Oriental day lilies




side front flower bed

another view of side front flower bed
We are hoping that we can nurse this sickly rose back to health


break for lunch at Wegman's


wildflowers in Jay's woods
After working most of the day I took a glass of tea to the back yard where I sat on the log pile (remember the tree that was trimmed with the moving van) and enjoyed the wind from the approaching storm blowing the tree tops. Then I went into the woods at the back of the house and picked black raspberries and enjoyed these pretty wildflowers while thrilling to the now rapidly approaching storm and hoping that Iwouldn't get struck by lightning. Sara enjoyed the berries on Sunday morning on her cereal.


Sara's bed
This is Sara's bed brought to the guest bedroom. Her dad made this bed to match her antique dresser. Sara was working a 7:00 pm to 7:00 am nursing shift while we were visiting so she and Jay took turns sleeping in this bed and Jay gave the master bedroom bed to B and I.


Saturday night we had dinner at The Wokery. My battery pack in my camera needed to be recharged and I had one picture left. I had my camera perfectly focused on Jay and he looked so handsome. Just as I snapped the shot he made his rat face as Sara calls it. One shot left and this is what I get.

1 comment:

Momma_Dee said...

Yard looks lovely. Nice that you are helping out so much. Evan is hard to photograph. Just when you go to take it, he makes some frightful grimace. Jay looks like he has fake teeth in front.