Sunday, November 23, 2008

prosit! to your health



About a year ago this darling little German restaurant opened on Main Street. Since B and I both have some German blood in us and our last name is definitely German, I decided to treat B to Prosit for his birthday dinner. I didn't call for reservations until yesterday, the actual date of B's birthday. I found that they were booked for the evening except for 4:30 which is the time they open. We ate a light lunch and by 4:00 we were starving so it worked out well. I think the building had actually been a home at one time. It was a two story very narrow townhouse. Before becoming this restaurant it had been an antique shop among other things. The rooms have a lot of heavy dark intricately carved woodwork and are painted in dark golds and browns. Old glass-doored china cabinets stuffed with hand painted and gold gilt-trimmed Bavarian china are fitted into the nooks and crannies. It is owned and operated by the Schlau family . Oh my, the food was out of this world. Out of this modern contemporary world anyway. Old songs that were favorites of our parents played in the background. Autumn Leaves and Misty. All the table settings were mismatched and antique. An old photo that looked like it could have been B's paternal grandparents sat on our table.



First a plate of thinly sliced raisin bread, pumpernickel and rye along with a few thin slices of cheese and molded herb butter were place before us. This is B eating his bread. We meant to have some with our salad but the bread plate was bare when our salads arrived.



This is our salad. My hand must have been shaking with the anticipation of eating it because I'm disappointed to find this picture came out a bit blurry. All entrees were served with this house salad and a choice of three house dressings. The salad was field greens, whole raw cranberries, black olives, feta cheese and two big crispy homemade croutons. I had carrot-ginger salad dressing and B had bacon-tomato. I pronounced my dressing one of the best I'd ever had and B pronounced his the best. All entrees were served with very lightly cooked, still slightly crip apple slices with a dash of struesel topping, warm sweet and sour red cabbage and a cold cabbage and celery slaw that was lightly dressed in vinegar and oil. B ordered Golumbki (ground spiced pork wrapped in cabbage leaves). I ordered the traditional sauerbraten or Schlaubraten as it is called at Prosit. As you can see by lack of photo of my entree, I really was so excited when it arrived that I completely forgot about the picture that I had intended to take. It came with a big lightly breaded and fried dumpling in addition to the three sides. I took my first bite. "This is unbelievable" I told B. I offered him a bite. He agreed.



In fact, right then and there he made a reservation for the following Friday. Jay will be visiting us for Thanksgiving and we want to share this memorable dining experience. We followed our meal by sharing Black Forest Chocolate Mousse. We are looking forward to this Friday when B will be saying Goodbye to Golumbki and Willkommen to Schlaubraten.

4 comments:

Momma_Dee said...

Well, my, doesn't that look tasty. We must enjoy our food because we can certainly elaborate eloquently upon it. Are you having a little meat now?

auntie m said...

I guess I have given up my longstanding vegetarian ways. I still hate hamburgers and meatloaf though.

Momma_Dee said...

We don't do much beef anymore either but I still love meatloaf, half beef and half turkey.

shy_smiley said...

the eats look delish, and the decor divine. Seems you shared a nice birthday with Sweet William. Post some pictures after you dine there with your fledgling, too. He's hottie #3.