Wednesday, October 22, 2008

a slap on the wrist


I wanted to take you on a tour of my favorite store. Being the naive girl that I am, I didn't know picture taking was not allowed inside the store. Armed with my camera I had taken two pictures of the outside of my store before stepping inside and snapping a pic of the produce department. Immediately an employee (or should I say associate) appeared before me. "Ma'am, you aren't allowed to take pictures in here. It's against our policy". Red-faced I replied " I'm sorry. I didn't know. I just wanted to take a few pictures of my favorite grocery store for my blog". "Well, you can ask the manager for special permission but I'm sure but she will say no" she told me. Emboldened by my new pursuit of blogging, I actually went to the service desk and asked to see the manager. She was called to the front of the store and told me "No. I'm sorry. It's just our policy". In the past this encounter would have left me scarred for days. As I shopped I did wonder if there were eyes on me who had witnessed my slap on the wrist and now thought less of me.




So I can't show you the coffee shop, the olive bar, the brick-oven bakery or the patisserie. You won't be able to see the Nature's Way section, the seasonal decorations or the very large kitchen shop that features china, cookbooks, linens and fine cookware. I can't show you the live music ensembles that entertain Friday evening shoppers from the balcony as they browse the prepared foods, meat shop, deli and fish market. You will have to imagine how the samples of the featured meal of the week from the quarterly store magazine, the cheese shop and Nature's Way taste. You won't be with me when I pick up my prescription, watch a mother drop off her child to play while she shops or select a movie from the Redbox. Being the law-abiding citizen that I am I won't show you that one picture I did take of the produce department.



That's OK, Wegman's. I forgive you because you are the one thing in WNY that I would miss the most if I were ever to move away. I know that you forgive me too. Didn't you select me as one of your top fifty customers three years ago and lavish gifts on me? A food gift basket, fifty dollar gift card and a bottle of your fine lemon olive oil. I know you love me as much as I love you. Doesn't Danny travel the world to bring me the best food products every country has to offer?

Do you know that there is a Wegman's in Rochester that has an entire Godiva chocolate shoppe inside of it? I can't show you that either.

No comments: