Monday, July 16, 2012

embarrassment

Yesterday I looked out the window into the backyard. Something orange that didn't belong was laying in the yard. I went out and picked it up. A tiny plastic clay-colored pot with a few gnaw marks on it. Where could it have come from? Kids next door tossing it over? It would have had to have been a hard toss. It was in the middle of the yard.I picked it up and placed it on the back stoop and forgot about it. Today when I pulled into the driveway after a long.......okay a short day at work....I saw a squirrel. Sitting on the stoop totally engrossed in something. He was holding the pot. And gnawing on it. He hesitated. Gave me an embarrassed look. Set the pot down and ran away. I cant get that look out of my head. Pure embarrassment. Mixed with a little annoyance. I left the pot there for his gnawing pleasure.

No comments: