Wednesday, October 20, 2010

woo hoo witchy woman

woo hoo witchy woman
see how high she flies
woo hoo witchy woman
she got the moon in her eye




Yesterday at 4:00 pm I got an email that stated that we were light on filling the roles for our Toastmaster meeting that occurred today. So I took the plunge and offered to be the Toastmaster, a role that scared the daylights out of me. But still not as much as giving a speech. So last night I prepared a little and today I delivered. It was sort of fun and I flew right through it and felt a little high when it was over. I spread dark chocolate and regular peanut butter cups along the tables and put out a few Halloween decorations. My monologue went something like this.

Good Day Everyone and Welcome

How many of you have a Facebook account? (most people in the room raised their hand)

I’ve been on Facebook for two years now. I guess you could say that I’m a little addicted. However I consider it to be a good thing.

It keeps me in touch with my family that is scattered all across the United States and I’ve reunited with hometown friends and schoolmates.

I do waste a lot of time on there though. Sometimes I take those little quizzes like What Legend of Sleepy Hollow character are you? You are Ichabod’s horse. Do you like your result? NO

Take quiz again.

Last week I took a quiz called Which Historical Woman are You? I got Amelia Earhart. Like! This is what it said.

YOU ARE THE RISK TAKER AND SEEKER OF ALL THINGS NEW AND EXCITING. YOUR PASSION KNOWS NO BOUNDARIES AND YOUR IMAGINATION IS VIVID. USE THE TOOLS TO HELP CREATE YOUR LIFE. YOU ARE A FREE SPIRIT. And only the word boundaries was misspelled.

So when I saw yesterday that the toastmaster role was still open I thought why not take a risk. I’ve mastered the art of cooking. How hard could it be to make toast? (I almost left out this joke because it is kind of lame but in the end I decided to keep it because I thought I could deal with the failure. But everyone laughed!)

But seriously.....I thought why not take a risk. How bad could I really be at the role of toastmaster? Then I thought well I could be pretty bad. Then I remembered it was almost Halloween and I could wear a disguise (and here I put on my witch hat and kept it on throughout the whole meeting)…and no one will know who I am.

Then I had to introduce the people filling the roles and ask them to explain their role. Then I had to be the humorist also and I read a poem about Halloween that I got off the Internet. Then I introduced the Table Topics master and asked people to vote on the best table topic speaker of which I was one.

Then I introduced my speakers.

My first speaker was Greg.

I said "If Greg took a Facebook quiz entitled What insect are you?....he would be a bee. Because he is always busy. He is always telling us about his busy busy life. Greg's speech is from the blah blah manual project #blah and is titled "You Don't Know What You Don't Know". Our president...Mr. Greg L.

My next speaker was Rachael.

I said – I took a facebook quiz titled what musical instrument are you. I got piano. Like! But a friend of mine took the quiz and got a big black question mark. And I am not making this up. This is what it said……
You have no musical soul or ability. Even if you do play an instrument your music does not reach people’s hearts. Here is a girl who does reach people’s hearts. Her enthusiasm and smile always put a smile on my face. Her speech is project 6 in the blah blah manual and is titled "Life Lessons from the Chessboard". Please welcome Ms Rachael B.

Jim had decided to give a speech at the last minute so I hadn't planned an intro for him. I stated that but I said if there was a quiz on Facebook about who is a great guy then Jim would be that great guy. My fellow co-worker and a great guy....Jim W. Jim's speech was titled Sign, Signs, Signs.

After each speech I had to pass around an envelope so people could give the speakers comments on their speeches. Each time while his was being done I told little Halloween jokes.

Why don't skeletons ever go out on the town?
Because they don't have any body to go out with.

Why do mummies have trouble keeping friends?
Because they are so wrapped up in themselves.

What kinds of streets do zombies like best?
Dead ends

Why did the vampire subscribe to the Wall Street Journal?
He heard it had great circulation.

Then I had to introduce the general evaluator who took over the meeting for a bit and then I gave the meeting back to the president at the end.

And then I came down from the high and I feel a little tired. I have the moon in my eye.

1 comment:

shy_smiley said...

absolutely fabulous, Amelia! I mean, Mona. Because you're exactly who you need to be. Emulate Amelia if you want to, and a witch if you want to, but Mona is the person is I admire and adore. Congrats to you for going out on that limb. You rocked!