Monday, October 11, 2010

fairport friday



This is me arriving at Barb's new little house in Webster on Friday morning. I've developed a liking for leggings with dresses and tunics lately. After a tour of Barb's lovely nicely decorated patio home, we drove to Fairport for lunch and an afternoon of shopping in this quaint little canal town.



We parked in a little shopping mall outside a little market...Red Bird Market. It was so clean and attractive inside. The walls had been painted with murals by a local artist. The displays and food packaging made you want to buy it all. And I almost did. Pastas and packets of dip mix that I intend to turn into a sauce for the pasta. Colorful wasabi soy nuts and tiny marshmallows. Orange and purple sanding sugars for Halloween cookies and pink sanding sugar simply because I couldn't resist the color. Chocolate stix and homemade butterflake rolls.



my pretty wasabi soy nuts in a cute elephant dish that has just been waiting for such a pretty treat as this



We took our stuff back to the car and walked across the canal to find a suitable restaurant. Rickie's had been recommended to us but when we opened the door we were accosted with blandness and a cigarette smoke smell so quietly turned and exited.



And then we found The Blue Cactus Mexican Grille. The cuteness of this place was mind boggling. Most of those windows were trompe l'oeil.



All I can say about this Margarita is that it was delicious and the blue salt was simply enchanting.



Here is Barb enjoying her drink among the sunflowers.



We both ordered the same thing. Three tacos...chicken, pork carnitas and grilled mushroom. They were served with lots of chopped herbs and greens and in soft slightly sweet tortillas.



I picked up a CD by a local artist that I had never heard of. She turned out to be a folk singer and I love every song on the CD.



We stopped at a gift shop/used book store where I bought Edgar Sawtelle for $6. The other book I picked up at Wegmans on Thursday night.



I picked up these silver Bandolino shoes in a consignment shop. It seemed to be a nice shop but I just couldn't find anything I wanted. As we were leaving I saw these and I can't resist any shoes that are metallic and comfortable.



On our walk back to the car we had to wait for the canal bridge to let a barge pass under.



Before heading back we stopped at Century Liquor owned by Wegmans. They always feature nice wines for $6 a bottle. I bought some of the $6 wines, one $4 wine and a few a little more expensive. With my shoppers club discount I bought a case of wine for $80. I wish Wegmans had a liquor store in Buffalo.

I left Barb's at 5:30 and drove to Gates to have dinner with Jay. We ate turkey avocado burgers at Ruby Tuesday's and had a great conversation. He made me a mocha coffee for the road and I drove home listening to Nora Green.

2 comments:

Momma_Dee said...

My kind of day. And as I'm sure I'd like the music, why don't you make me a nice little copy? We are surely suckers for an attractive little food market. I read Sepulchre last spring and Edgar Sawtelle just a few months ago. I think S will be your kind of book. Your jewelry is interesting. Is that a Dana Saylor piece?

auntie m said...

The necklace is just an inexpensive thing I picked up at a store we have called Wearhouse Accessorized. I will make you a copy of the CD. Wish you could have come along with us.