Monday, July 5, 2010

guest bedroom curtains



Jay asked me to make curtains for his guest bedroom. The walls are a very pale gray. He bought this bedspread and matching rug. At Joanne's we found a fabric that was sort of the inverse of the rug and bedspread. I suggested we go back home and measure the windows but Jay guesstimated.






This was only my second project on my new Bernina. The first being a skirt that is still lacking a quarter of it's hem. I'll post it soon. I was very careful with the planning and measuring for these curtains. I discovered right away that we had shorted the amount the of fabric we needed by about a foot, then I quickly realized that because of the repeat that we were short a little more. I didn't panic though. I suggested to Jay that we add a border to achieve the required length.



Jay had at some time purchased two room darkening panels and I decided to cut these down to use as a lining for the curtains. The color went pretty well with the fabric and since they are going in a bedroom the room darkening effect seemed appropriate. I liked how professional they looked after I pressed the lining.



Tess joined me in admiring the quality work.



My border before the decorative stitching. I had suggested to Jay that I try out a decorative stitch on my new machine. Later I told him that maybe it wouldn't be a good idea because it might make them look too gay. He agreed. But after looking through some of the stitches......



I found this circular pattern that complimented the fabric design. I tried it first in white, then thought maybe black on black may look more sophisticated. But black on black looked like nothing. Jay liked the white and agreed to it.



Here is the almost finished product. I brought them home with me to hem. I also brought home fabric for office curtains and kitchen curtains. My Bernina is going to get a workout.

No comments: