Thursday, July 8, 2010

compromise


This is how the master bath looks today.



Several years ago we got tired of the damaged tiles near the base of the shower and decided to replace them. Of course we couldn't find any pink tiles that matched so looked for a complimentary tile to act as a border at the shower bottom.....



and top since these tiles from a remodel job by the previous home owner didn't match either.



We replaced this white cabinet and a white vanity with an oak cabinet and an oak vanity with a new granite countertop but left that flowered wallpaper.



These were the new border tiles we selected but left them paired with that crazy flowered wallpaper, a blue toliet and blue and white linoleum tile floor.



Then last year we remodeled the powder room. First we bought these porcelain tiles for it and then changed our minds and decided on marble tiles for the powder room. We decided to use these porcelain tiles in the master bath. B thought that after he put in the new floor that he would be done but I couldn't bear the thought of that blue toilet going back in and I was tired to death of that 20 year old wallpaper. I wanted a new white toilet and wanted to paint the bathroom the same shade of pinkish beige that the bedroom was painted. B agreed to paint since the wallpaper was in disrepair but my pleading for a new toilet fell on deaf ears. I remember once when I was a little girl, we had visited my Grandma in Springfield. We were driving home and I knew we would be passing by a MacDonalds. I started begging to stop at MacDonalds for ice cream. My mom said no but I knew that my dad always caved in and gave me what I wanted. I was confident that he would turn into MacDonalds. When we cruised on by I burst into tears. And that is exactly how I felt when I came home from the grocery store and there on the new porcelain tile floor sat the old blue toilet. I removed all my things and transferred them to the hall bathroom and swore I would never use the master bath again.



Then B brings home some paint chips from the hardware store and they are all various shades of gray. I said I didn't want to introduce another color into the decorating scheme. The bedroom is beige, the granite countertop is beige, the border tiles have a beige background, the floor tiles are beige. B says the tiles are gray and the floor is gray. At this point I don't care anymore. I say paint the bathroom whatever color you want. I left on a ten day vacation to Illinois to visit family. When I arrived back home and pulled up to our house I don't think I could have seen a lovelier sight than this blue toilet sitting in the front yard.....



replaced by this lovely white toilet. I realized that a compromise had been made. Even though B had painted the bathroom in the way I wanted it painted still it was gray and I was nasty about it for several weeks refusing to even look at it. Then slowly I started to warm to it a little.



I found a new toothbrush holder that blended into the countertop.



But the thing that made me finally like it was this picture.



These had been three separate pictures. One matted in peach, one in blue and one in pink. I decided to have them all framed together with a clay-colored mat that matched the accent wall in the bedroom and pulled the two rooms together. Even though I like the way it looks now, neither one of us use it anymore. We both got used to using the hallway bathroom during the remodeling and have continued to do so. And I still think it would have looked better beige.

1 comment:

BikeMe said...

You think everything would look better beige.