Monday, August 10, 2009

sunday in rochester



Sunday we drove to Rochester to lend a helping hand once more to Jay. When we arrived Jay was sawing backer board for the bathroom floor. I found Sara in the house arranging sunflowers in three big blue glass vases. She looked like a doll in her dress with a black top and black and white checked skirt. The flowers were for a baby shower that she was helping her mom give for the daughter of her mom's best friend. I held the sunflowers upright while Sara poked other smaller flowers and baby breath around them. I had a little gift for her that I had purchased at Vidler's in East Aurora while I was on vacation. Bookplates featuring baby golden retrievers like her dog, Kayn. She had received these three bottles of wine as a house warming gift. They looked so pretty sitting in the opening between the kitchen and dining room. I don't recall ever seeing a wine as crystal clear as the Gazela Vinho Verde from Portugal. I'll have to try it sometime. The Gato Negro Malbec looked good too.


one of the completed vases....the other two are in the box


the new light fixture in the landing


After a day of painting paneling on the ground floor for me and a day of preparing the bathroom floor for tiling for B and Jay, we sought out a cute family restaurant called Pixley's for dinner. This gorgeous mural was painted on the wall.


and this adorable cup of lemon chicken soup was served with the meal.

We started for home at 10 P.M. amid warnings for heavy thunderstorms. It started raining before we even made it to the thruway and we were entertained with one of the most spectular lightning shows I've ever seen all the way home. Cars were pulled over all along the thruway because the rains were again torrential. We have been having lots of rain and flooding the past few days. Finally we were able to respond to Jay's concerned texts that we made it home safely. Wish I could have caught some of that amazing light show to show you here.

2 comments:

Momma_Dee said...

How lucky Jay is to have parents so willing to help him. Sara does nice flowers.
That lemony chicken soup is one of my favorites.

barbie said...

I'll have to try that restaurant sometime in my travels to Rochester. I like the light fixture Jay (and Cleo) chose for the foyer. I love your pictures of food...makes my mouth water. :)