Thursday, December 11, 2008

a promise to myself

On Tuesday I felt draggy and tired all day. When I got home from work I sat down at the computer fully intending to get up and get changed for my Total Body Workout class at the BAC. The time kept slipping away until I realized that I had run out of time to change and would not be able to make the class on time. I also realized that somewhere in the back of my head this had been my intention all along. I haven't missed a Tuesday or Thursday evening class in the past couple years without a good reason like that terrible flu I had last year or a Christmas party. I've never not gone just because I didn't feel like it. B got home from work to find me at the computer. "Aren't you going to your workout class?" he asked. I replied that I felt tired almost to the point of feeling ill, so no. His face showed deep disappointment in me. B likes his ladies skinny. Remember Twiggy. He probably would think that she was fat. So anyway I felt sort of bad and decided I'd go down to the basement and run on the treadmill after dinner. After dinner B asked if I wanted to watch a movie. I did. So I pushed the running on the treadmill thought back to that place in my head that housed that earlier thought about working out. We watched The X-Files - I Want to Believe. It was dull enough that I was able to catch a little nap somewhere in the middle of it without missing any plot and without B knowing that I was sleeping.
On to my promise to myself. I decided that I would just accept that I had been a slacker for a day and I promised myself that I would do everything on my list the next day no matter how hard it was to fit it in. And I did. After a full day of work I rushed home and ran a 5K on my treadmill. A quick shower and on to the ASWA Christmas Fundraiser Dinner.


the contents of the Book Club Basket that I won

ASWA is the American Society of Women Accountants. They hold several meetings throughout the year always involving dinner at a great restaurant and usually a speaker or program of some kind. Sometimes it is very accounting related and sometimes more social. I attend the more social type of these functions. I always attend the Christmas fundraiser. There is a wonderful Chinese auction every year. The group selects a different local charity every year who benefits from the money we raise. This auction included Ipod speakers, a digital camera, crystal bowls filled with money, Sabres tickets and many other wonderful things. Since I asked Santa to bring me a camera for Christmas, I didn't put any tickets in the bag for it.


one set of the three that I got by begging and being pushy(excuse the seaweed salad)

I was very interested in two baskets and put most of my tickets in just those two. One was a Book Club Basket filled with books. The other was a Tea Time Basket with boxes of tea and the sweetest lusterware set. I have a large collection of lusterware so I was lusting after this one. When the tickets were pulled I won the Book Club Basket. I was super excited. I didn't win the Tea Time Basket though. I started thinking what if the lady who won it didn't really care about the lusterware. Bold as brass I approached her and offered to buy the lusterware if she would be willing to sell it. She said that she wasn't interested in it at all, just the tea, and she simply gave it to me.


The Betty Crocker Ultimate Cakemix Cookbook

I came home all happy about what I had won. I still had one thing on my list to do. We have a birthday club at work. I was the last birthday so I had to bake for the next birthday which was today. I whipped out this book and in just two hours had two delicious cakes sitting on the counter. Honeybun Cake and Cherry Chocolate Chip Cake. I have a reputation to uphold at work. I'm known as a good cook and usually everything I bring is homemade. This book starts with a yellow, white, chocolate or carrot cake mix and then you add other ingredients so my finished product seemed homemade even if it wasn't completely from scratch. Both cakes were a big hit. And I succeeded in fulfilling my promise to myself.

3 comments:

Momma_Dee said...

The lustreware is gorgeous. Your pictures are, too. Don't know that you need a new camera. You are a very motivated person. Are you really my sister?

Unknown said...

Horizon Treadmills is one of the top brands sold in the market today. Horizon treadmills are definitely affordable, so if users are looking for something that's within their price range, then users must check out this brand.


http://www.yorkfitness.com/Treadmills-cat-501/Index.html

shy_smiley said...

Ramone sure do got the motivation. OK to take a night off for resting... that's when your body recovers and is the most important stage of your fitness plan. I have been doing VERY important work since I hurt my ankle. Kudos to you for approaching the Lusterware winner. And the book club winnings are luscious... I'll put all those books on my list!