Sunday, September 26, 2010

candy corn cookies



Baking cookies calms me. I like the manual labor of mixing and shaping the dough, the creative planning part when the decision is made as to what kind to make and how to make them. The rummaging through cookbooks for a recipe to use to use as a base but one that you can change a bit to make it your own. I like the eating part too, but neither Bill or I allow ourselves to indulge much. But I never have to worry about who is going to eat them. I simply take them to work and they are gone in a matter of hours. Friday I got the idea for candy corn cookies. I used a simple butter cookie recipe that I have used often.

1 c butter
1 c powdered sugar
2 1/4 c flour
1/4 salt

Mix butter and sugar thoroughly. Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting. Mix flour and salt, stir in. At this point, I divided my dough into half. I added two squares of semi-sweet chocolate (melted) to one half. To the other half I added 1 t orange flavoring and a few drops of red and yellow food coloring.

Mold in shape of your choice. Wrap in waxed or parchment paper. Chill several hours or overnight. To form a candy corn shape, I formed my chocolate dough into a rectangle which I then sliced in half longways. I then divided the orange dough into two parts and formed two triangular logs. I placed a triangle of orange on top of each chocolate layer and made sure the resulting log had a triangular shape.





Cut and ready for the oven.




Watch them carefully. They don't take long to bake.



Cool on a rack. At this point I always eat an ugly one that didn't turn out so well.



When they have thouroughly cooled, melt some white chocolate (I used Ghirardelli white chocolate chips) with a dash of oil (I used Wegmans sunflower oil) and dip the tips of the cookies into the chocolate. Lay out on parchment paper to dry.
Pour yourself a glass of milk and enjoy.

1 comment:

Miss Linder said...

Thanks for the receipe Mona, I know how hard it is to give a receipe you sort of made up. Those are really cute. If you google candy corn cookies you get cookies made from candy corn. Yuck