Wednesday, October 28, 2009

modern bathroom



I heard a story on NPR recently about how all the home decorating shows on TV misuse the word modern when they mean contemporary or fresh. The modern style of decorating came about in the mid 20th century about the time our house was built. This style uses mostly light but not cool colored walls and accessories which feature geometric designs in bright colors. The modern decorating style is commonly called retro today. The idea is to give a bright and airy feel...clean and simple...no need for clutter. B and I have always liked the retro tiles in our bathrooms so when we decided to remodel our powder room we decided to keep the wall tiles. Our geometric design is definitely the rectangle. Square marble floor tile, square wall tiles, rectangular medicine cabinet and vanity. The square mosaic wall hanging my niece, Mandy, made for me fit perfectly into this bathroom.


squared off faucet


We needed a short towel bar and B found this square one on-line and it even has a little black trim on it.


This gorgeous marble floor is my favorite feature. It has veins in the marble that match the wall tile.

I love the new bathroom so much I sometimes go in it just to gaze at it. Before remodeling, this bathroom had white linoleum with gold flecks, a white vanity, pink toilet and ancient pink and aqua flowered wallpaper. What a difference.

2 comments:

barbie said...

Oh, Mona...its beautiful!!!

shy_smiley said...

I'm in love, too. Our remodeled hall bath is still my favorite room in the house. I just like the way it came together. Sometimes I go in there just to dig the vibe, too. Nothing more.